When growing marijuana indoors, you’ll need to make sure your grow room is suitable. It’s no good just putting your plants in any old room. It has to be specially prepared. That means ventilation, heat, and light levels all need to be right. But when you’re in an enclosed space, getting enough light can be a challenge.
- Setting Up A Grow Room Properly
- Best Reflective Material For Grow Rooms – Our Top 5 Picks
- 1. Earth Start Reflective Mylar Roll
- 2. Double Bubble Reflective Foil Insulation
- 3. NAVADeal Silver Reflective Mylar Film
- 4. VIVOSUN Black and White Panda Film
- 5. Rust-Oleum Ultra-Matte Interior Chalked Paint
The solution is reflective material that boosts the light exposure your plants are receiving. The more light they get, the better your results will be. Put briefly, added light means bigger buds. And that means more cannabis.
In this guide, we’ll explain why that is and then review 5 different reflective materials you can use for your grow room. That way you’ll have the information you need to know, and some materials you can buy.
Setting Up A Grow Room Properly
Properly setting up a grow room requires 5 main elements to be just right. If any of them aren’t considered appropriately, then you could end up in a situation where your plants give a poor yield or fail to make it to the flowering stage. These 5 are:
- The choice of cannabis strain
- The nutrients you feed your plants with
- The airflow through your grow room
- The heating facilities you use
- The light your plants receive
Every single one of these is crucial, but in this guide, we’re going to focus on light exposure. When your plants receive light, it’s about more than simply buying grow lamps and turning them on.
The light needs to cover every single part of the grow room, with the right intensity so your plants make use of the light and react to it. That’s why many growers rely on reflective materials to achieve the results they want.
It’s also more affordable to use reflective material than it is to keep buying new lights. But there is only so much light can do. The other elements need to be right too.
Still, preparing the walls of your grow room is an essential step, and that’s why we’ve reviewed 5 options in this guide. There are more available, but by narrowing it down we hope to make your decision-making simpler.
Best Reflective Material For Grow Rooms – Our Top 5 Picks
We found these 5 materials to be better than any others we looked at. In each review, we introduce the material, cover its features, and list its pros and cons. That makes it simple for you to see which one appeals to you the most.
1. Earth Start Reflective Mylar Roll
Mylar is a great reflective material for grow rooms that many of the best choices use. It’s affordable, and even gets used by first-time growers.
This particular film has high-quality mylar that gets the job done. No matter what your grow room looks like, mylar will make sure it’s as reflective as possible.
This particular mylar sheeting is 48 inches wide and 25 inches long. It’s 2 mils thick, which gives it greater durability than ordinary mylar. As a result, it’s also resistant to tearing and puncturing. It’s 100% reflective of light, which is as good as you can get. Plus it’s metalized on both of its sides.
- There is no light leakage, and it reflects well
- It’s thicker and stronger than most mylar
- It’s great value for money
- Some people have claimed it’s not conductive and isn’t metalized as claimed
- Some say it’s not entirely mylar, and that 1 mil of it is white plastic instead
2. Double Bubble Reflective Foil Insulation
An alternative to mylar is a material known as foylon. It has many of the same features as mylar does, but it’s known for being more durable. It also has silver bubbles which give it the appearance of bubble wrap.
It can last for years if you need it to. This foil will reflect around 97% of the light and is waterproof as well.
Because of its durability, the material won’t break, disintegrate, or collapse. That means you can simply put it up in your grow room and rely on it for as long as you need it.
- It’s easy to install and cut to size
- It won’t be affected by high humidity or moisture levels
- It reduces your bills by saving energy use
- The double bubble insulation isn’t as thick as you might expect
- It can be too flexible and not taut enough
3. NAVADeal Silver Reflective Mylar Film
This is another mylar product that made it onto our list. This is because the mylar it uses is different from the other listing. It’s known as VMPET. Both sides are metalized and PET coated too. That means it’s not prone to tearing or corrosion.
Using this film allows the light in your grow room to reflect light evenly. Reflection levels are 95%, and it’s also environmentally friendly. Unlike some of the others, there’s also a 100% guarantee of satisfaction. Each sheet measures 82 inches by 47 inches.
- Extremely good value for money at just $6.59
- It’s slightly sheer which allows you to replace them when they get worn
- This is a 2 pack product so you get an extra sheet to use
- Some say it’s thinner than they expected it to be
- The folding of the sheet can reduce the reflectiveness in places
4. VIVOSUN Black and White Panda Film
Panda plastic is another choice as the best reflective material for grow rooms. It’s an alternative to both mylar and foylon. This product in particular is extra thick and is made of poly materials. The black side resists light penetration, while the white side reflects over 90% of the light.
However, when using this material, it needs to be placed quite distantly from the grow light because it also reflects heat. If it’s too close, it could scorch your plants.
- Very thick, which makes it highly durable even when used daily
- Comes with a 1-year warranty so that you can put your trust in it
- Has multiple sizes that you can choose from before ordering
- The plastic can have permanent creasing that reduces its effectiveness
5. Rust-Oleum Ultra-Matte Interior Chalked Paint
Sometimes the best reflective material for grow rooms isn’t a separate piece of sheeting, it’s simply white paint! But there’s a lot of options on the market for white paint, so choosing one can be tough.
This paint can be used on pretty much any surface, which makes it extremely versatile. The latex composition of the paint removes any odors too. The drying time is about 30 minutes, which is also very convenient.
- The formula is made to be easy to clean if the paint gets stained over time
- It can give good results even with only one coat, although the best results come with 3 coats
- The color is true white, which is very helpful for light reflection
- Some people have reported the paint yellowing after a short time
If you’d like to start growing popular marijuana plants like Blue Dream and White Widow, then you must make a good choice in terms of the reflective material you use in your grow room. Thankfully, you can now do that as a result of reading this list.
We’ve given you a selection of the best reflective material for grow rooms so that you can pick the one that’s most convenient for your situation. That might be a quick coat of paint, some foylon sheets, an extra thick panda plastic, or the classic mylar sheets.
Get Amazing Seed Deals
- Feminized Seeds
- Autoflower Seeds
- High THC Seeds
- High Yield Seeds
- Beginner Seeds
Whichever it is, you can put your trust in the products we’ve covered.
If you’d like to start as a grower, you can get a grow kit for beginners from I Love Growing Marijuana. Click here to buy marijuana seeds from ILGM.